692: Kelly Gunther | Pushing Through with Fearless Determination
When your natural reaction to falling is to immediately get back up, eventually the win will come. Kelly Gunther is an American speed skater who participated most recently in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
After a devastating injury, Kelly was able to return to skating and set two personal best times in November 2011. She is now a coach who believes everyone has a chance at achieving their dreams by discovering their own strengths. Kelly embodies the ideals of building a network by constantly surrounding herself with inspiring people who push her to be her best.
Let’s dive into Kelly’s story and learn how pushing through with fearless determination brought her success even when she was discounted.
Things you will learn in this episode:
- I introduce today’s guest,
- Kelly shares some background on her story
- Shy growing up with a learning disability
- Finding herself in skating
- Revisiting her high school later on
- Kelly talks about the biggest influences in her life
- Her mother and coach
- What separates Kelly from other skaters
- Using the drive deep inside
- A hunger to keep learning
- The mental hurdles of competition
- Going in fearless
- The importance of faith
- Push through or pivot?
- Listen to your mind and body
- Keeping doing it as long as you love it
- Being bigger than the Olympics
- ‘Becoming Kelly’
- A word from our sponsor
- Pulling in experiences into the business world
- The value of pushing yourself
- Not ‘Yet’
- Who you know or what you know?
- The importance of connections
- Using who you know to get where you want
- Using your voice
- How Clubhouse helped Kelly
- Setting up a network
- Paid vs. organic networking
- Principles for people seeking mentorship
- Gravitate towards natural connection
- The RaNdoM RoUnd
- How to connect with Kelly - links below
- Final words
“I'm not the best skater, and I'm not the worst skater, but I'm going to be there no matter what, and I'm gonna work hard.” - Kelly Gunther
“I was just used to it - that if you get knocked down you get back up again.” - Kelly Gunther
“What's so important to me is that I want to be bigger than the Olympics, because that's who I am. I'm just ‘Kelly’ that made one dream come true.” - Kelly Gunther
Did you love the value that we are putting out in the show? LEAVE A REVIEW and tell us what you think about the episode so we can continue putting out great content just for you! Share this episode and help someone who wants to connect with world-class people.
Jump on over to travischappell.com/makemypodcast and let my team make you your very own show!
If you want to learn how to build YOUR network, check out my website travischappell.com. You can connect with me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Be sure to join The Lounge to become part of the community that’s setting up REAL relationships that add value and create investments.
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands
Privacy & Opt-Out: https://redcircle.com/privacy