7. Beyond Long Distances: Roy Hinnen Talks Life, Lessons Learned and is 100% Triathlon
"It is questions that trigger the thought process in others. With only the answer there is no process." - Roy Hinnen
We all know what happens when you overwork yourself over a long period of time and don't find a suitable balance: you burn out. The fact that this is also the case in sports, and especially in professional competitive sports with too much and too intensive training, is often not so obvious.
Daily exertion in sports, too little regeneration and too little patience. This led to a burnout for Roy Hinnen, guest in this episode. At the age of 18 years Roy started with triathlon and without further ado he decided then to tackle the whole thing professionally. He moved to the USA and trained there with Dave Scott and Mark Allen. In 1987 he was the first to bring the infamous Scott aerobar to Europe and immediately became Swiss Champion. He was able to build on this success four more times in a row before he ended his professional career due to the circumstances described above. Roy Hinnen's personal long distance best time is 8:35 hours, which he achieved in 1991. He has 30 years of triathlon experience, is author of the best-selling triathlon book in Switzerland TRIATHLON TOTAL: Your way to a new best time as well as 100% triathlon eats 95% vegan and practices Zen meditation.
In this episode Roy talks about his past and some milestones in his life that have had a lasting impact on him. He especially focuses on his way of dealing with people and shows which lessons he has learned and how he incorporates them into his coaching.
Thanks for listening and hear you next time,
Listen & Subscribe
Spotify | Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts or wherever you get your Podcasts from.
Connect with Roy Hinnen:
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/roy.hinnen/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/royhinnencoaching
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/royhinnen
- Website: https://www.triathloncoach-royhinnen.ch/
- Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/1036059
- RoyFit Strava Club: https://www.strava.com/clubs/RoyFit
Mentioned & further resources:
- Upcoming Book "100% Triathlon": https://www.sportweltverlag.de/shop/100-prozent-triathlon/
- Best-selling Book "Triathlon Total": https://www.sportweltverlag.de/shop/triathlon-total/
Support the show (https://www.patreon.com/niklasfrick)