71 | Sex Ed, Consent and Intimate Relationships During a Pandemic with Dr. Sara Flowers
Today, we’re talking to Dr. Sara C. Flowers. She became the Vice President of Education at PPFA in 2018. An advocate for evidence-informed practice and emotional intelligence in sex education, Sara’s research focuses on fidelity and adaptation of sex education curricula, dismantling sexual and reproductive health disparities, serving the youth of color, and strengthening reproductive health access. In this role, Sara sets the vision, priorities, and strategy for sex education and training at Planned Parenthood. She is the spokesperson for sex education, providing contextualization and grounding for the nuanced ways sex education works to support and progress the federation’s vision and mission.
Sara holds a Doctorate in Public Health from The Graduate School and University Center, CUNY, as well as a BA in Psychology and a Master of Public Health degree, both from The George Washington University. She currently serves on the board of directors for SIECUS: Sex Ed for Social Change.
In this episode, we talk about…
- How COVID impacts our sexual health and relationships
- Evolution of sex education over the years
- How to initiate honest conversations with your partner or potential partners
- Communicating and connecting with others during this pandemic
- Consent conversations, not just in a sexual context
- Communicating with teenagers in this pandemic
- Reproductive health care and how black women can advocate for themselves
- Connect with Dr. Sara through PPFA’s website
- Follow Dr. Sara on Linkedin: @drsaracflowers
- Article about consent by Dr. Sara C. Flowers. Practicing What I Preach: Consent, Young People, and Respecting a No
- Ask Roo, a sexual health chatbot from PPFA
Balance Black Girl Partners:
- BLK+GRN | Use code BBG20 for 20% off at blkgrn.com
- Methodology | Use code BALANCEDBLACKGIRL for 20% off your first Methodology shipment
- Organifi | Use the code BBG for 15% off Organifi supplements
- Peak and Valley | Use the discount code balancedblackgirl for $5 off your order of adaptogen blends
If you like this episode, please leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Keep in touch with Les on Instagram @balancedles, follow the show @balancedblackgirlpodcast, and join the Balanced Black Girl Podcast Community on Facebook.
PS: If you really want to take your year to the next level, snag our free glow-up guide. This free guide has everything you need to implement a self-care practice that works. You’ll get daily journal worksheets, inspiring quotes, affirmations, and a bonus workout. Get the guide HERE.