72 | Coping Strategies for Racial Trauma with Jacquelyn Ogorchukwu Iyamah
Today, we’re discussing ways to heal from and cope with racial trauma with our guest, Jacquelyn Ogorchukwu Iyamah.
Jacquelyn is a Nigerian American Storyteller and User Experience Designer in the wellness space. She has a degree in Social welfare, where her focus was on making wellness more accessible to overlooked communities. She also has a degree in UX design, where she spent a year researching what it would take to design a platform that reduced the barriers of therapy for Black, Indigenous and People of Color.
In 2018, Jacquelyn published The Geometry of Being Black, a poetic body of work that provides a glimpse into prominent experiences of the Black community.
In this episode, we talk about…
- The difference between coping and healing.
- Defining racial trauma, and understanding its signs and symptoms.
- Understanding The Four Bodies of healing.
- Identifying and coping with racial battle fatigue.
- Activism as an act of hope.
- Check out Jacquelyn's course Making the Body a Home: Unpacking Internalized Racism
- Follow Jacquelyn on Instagram: @ogorchukwuu
- Read The Four Bodies: A Toolkit for Healing Racial Trauma
- Follow Jacquelyn on Facebook: @ogorchukwuu
- Follow Jacquelyn on Twitter: @ogorchukwuu
- Order Jacquelyn’s book The Geometry of Being Black
- Register for the Unapologetic Retreat and use code LES10 for $10 off
- Take the Balanced Black Girl Listener Survey
Balance Black Girl Partners:
- BLK+GRN | Use code BBG20 for 20% off at blkgrn.com
- Methodology | Use code BALANCEDBLACKGIRL for 20% off your first Methodology shipment
- Organifi | Use the code BBG for 15% off Organifi supplements
- Peak and Valley | Use the discount code balancedblackgirl for $5 off your order of adaptogen blends
This episode is sponsored by Cantu Beauty.
If you like this episode, please leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Keep in touch with Les on Instagram @balancedles, follow the show @balancedblackgirlpodcast, and join the Balanced Black Girl Podcast Community on Facebook.
PS: If you really want to take your year to the next level, snag our free glow-up guide. This free guide has everything you need to implement a self-care practice that works. You’ll get daily journal worksheets, inspiring quotes, affirmations, and a bonus workout. Get the guide HERE.
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands