767: How to master communication in a relationship
Relationships are a two-way street, but when it comes to communication it’s important to understand people have a variety of preferences when it comes to how love and affection are given and received, so what are those preferences, how can you identify what someone’s preferences are, and how can you implement all of this information to build new relationships and strengthen existing ones?
What to Listen For
- What can you do to strengthen the relationships in your life?
- What can you do if you think you’re a great listener but people around you keep complaining about you not listening?
- Why is it a recipe for disaster to look for someone to complete you and what should you be looking for instead?
- What are the Five Languages of Appreciation and how can you pick the best one for each of your relationships?
- What are the three parts of communication and how does your awareness of each part help to mitigate miscommunication?
- How do you identify the love languages of family, friends, and coworkers?
- Why are openness and vulnerability mandatory when it comes to figuring out the love languages of the people in your life?
- What little signals can you pay attention to so you can get an idea for how your loved ones communicate?
In order to deepen the connections we have with the people around us, it’s important to understand how the people around us prefer to be treated. Just because you view the giving and receiving of affection one way, doesn’t mean everyone else does as well. Some people prefer to show their appreciation through words, some prefer to show it through gifts, and some prefer the spending of quality time together - and that’s just to name a few.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Hiring used to be hard. Multiple job sites, stacks of resumes, a confusing review process. But today, hiring can be easy and you only have to go to one place to get it done: ziprecruiter.com/charm. ZipRecruiter is so effective that 4 out of 5 of employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate through the site within the first day.
Lumen5 is empowering everyone with the ability to create short-form videos in a matter of minutes. You can transform an article, blog post, or text message into a video. Enter your text and the Lumen5 A.I. will help you summarize your content, and automatically match it with videos and photos. Right now Lumen Five has a special offer just for you! Go to lumen5.com/charm and you’ll get 50 percent off your first month.
Resources from this Episode
The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
The 5 Languages of Appreciation in the Workplace by Gary Chapman
The 5 Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman
Check in with AJ and Johnny!