774: The 3 Most Common Hurdles in Decision Making, And How to Avoid Them
We make decisions throughout every single day of our lives, but only a certain type of decision can lead to regret later on, so how can you identify those decisions before you make them, what can you do to minimize or eliminate any regret they may cause, and what can you do to become a better decision-maker?
What to Listen For
- Why are some decisions harder than others and how do those decisions make for good self-development?
- Why do we feel regret and how can we turn it around to use it as a motivator for action?
- What is opportunity cost, how does it affect our decision-making ability, and how can we eliminate it?
- What can you do when you find yourself being indecisive without anyone to turn to for help?
- If you’re an indecisive person, what one thing can you look at in order to better understand the decisions you should make in the future?
- What is decision fatigue and what can you do to avoid it so it doesn’t lead you to make the wrong decision with long-lasting consequences?
- What kinds of decisions lead to regret and what kinds do not, and why?
- Why is attaching a deadline to a decision so helpful in developing good decision-making habits?
- Why are we wired for indecision and what simple technique can we do to overcome that biological programming?
- What is the psychological immune system and how does it work in your favor when it comes to how you regret certain types of decisions?
- Why does a focus on the outcome (of a decision) versus the process
- (of making that decision) lead to more regret in life?
- What are the three hidden pitfalls of striving for ideal outcomes?
Life is full of decisions, big and small and everything in between, and the ability to make those decisions is a skill just like any other, which means it can be learned, practiced, and improved upon, but it also means it can atrophy if you are indecisive too often and for too long. Indecisiveness is not a desirable trait - it shows people you are not confident in the path you’re walking through in life and you don’t value your time, because for every decision you don’t make, you are wasting time, the most precious resource any of us has because it’s the only one you can’t get more of.
A Word From Our Sponsors
Share your vulnerabilities, victories, and questions in our 17,000-member private Facebook group at theartofcharm.com/challenge. This is a unique opportunity where everyone — both men and women — celebrate your accountability on the way to becoming the best version of yourself. Register today here!
Did you know your teeth move as you get older? Candid - the clear alternative to braces - costs 65% less than braces! Candid has an orthodontist licensed in your state create a treatment plan for you (and Candid only uses experienced orthodontists). You can save thousands of dollars and have straighter, brighter teeth in an average of just six months! Learn more at CandidCo.com/CHARM and use discount code CHARM to get $75 off!
Before you go dropping hundreds of dollars on a pair, you need to check out the wireless earbuds from Raycon! Unlike some of your other wireless options, Raycon earbuds are both stylish and discreet, with no dangling wires or stems. And of course, they don’t just look great. They sound great, too. Go to BuyRaycon.com/CHARM to get 15% off your order!
Blinkist gives you access to key insights from 2,500+ bestselling nonfiction books, transformed into powerful packs you can read or listen to in just 15 minutes. Go to Blinkist.com/AOC to start your free trial or get three months off your yearly plan when you join today.
Resources from this Episode
Check in with AJ and Johnny!