78 | You’re Worthy – Honoring Your Spiritual Evolution with Lyvonne Proverbs Briggs
Content warning: Mention of sexual trauma and pregnancy loss
Today's conversation is about our spiritual evolutions and how that plays into our wellness. Spirituality is individual and for those who grew up in the church, that is often your first and largest spiritual influence. There are also some people who start to approach spirituality differently – people who want to have a hybrid of some of those church practices that they grew up with and some of the spiritual practices they learned about at different points in life.
Our guest today is Lyvonne Proverbs Briggs (aka “Pastor Bae”) a body and sex-positive preacher, writer, speaker, and spiritual life coach. Lyvonne is the founder of Beautiful Scars, a healing-centered storytelling agency focused on fostering pleasure and resiliency. She is also the curator of The Proverbial Experience, an Instagram church. Briggs has been featured in ESSENCE, Cosmopolitan, and The Washington Post, and Sojourners named her one of “11 Women Shaping the Church.” Briggs, an NYC native, is currently based in New Orleans, LA.
Lyvonne is dedicated to her faith and helping Black women heal their childhood trauma and we’re so grateful for the opportunity to share her story and mission.
In this episode, we talk about…
- Decolonizing your faith, African spirituality, and having a sense of curiosity
- Releasing shame related to sexual trauma
- Fostering conversations about our sexuality in our everyday conversations
- Trusting your inner knowing because that’s where the power lives
- Sensuality vs. sexuality and the ongoing practice of honoring your body
- What it means to be a Surthrivor
- Check out Lyvonne’s Website: lyvonnep.com
- Follow Lyvonne on Instagram: @lyvonnep
- Connect with Lyvonne on Facebook
- Follow Lyvonne on Twitter: @lyvonnep
- Subscribe to Lyvonne’s YouTube Channel
- Subscribe to Lyvonne's Patreon for additional coaching and support
- Join Lyvonne's online course 'i'm a Surthrivor' and use the code 'BALANCEDBLACKGIRL' for 16% off
- Organifi | Use the code BBG for 15% off Organifi supplements
- Peak and Valley | Use the discount code balancedblackgirl for $5 off your order of adaptogen blends
If you like this episode, please leave a rating and review on Apple Podcasts. Keep in touch with Les on Instagram @balancedles, follow the show @balancedblackgirlpodcast, and join the Balanced Black Girl Podcast Community on Facebook.
PS: If you really want to take your year to the next level, snag our free glow-up guide. This free guide has everything you need to implement a self-care practice that works. You’ll get daily journal worksheets, inspiring quotes, affirmations, and a bonus workout. Get the guide HERE.
Advertising Inquiries: https://redcircle.com/brands