82: A Mother’s Message: Losing a child to drowning- Turning grief into advocacy
On this episode I welcome Nicole Hughes (@nicolehughes8 on IG) who documents on her Instagram her life after loss and, in her words, “choosing to survive the impossible.” We discuss the following:
- What prompted her to become an advocate for drowning prevention
- Common misconceptions and assumptions
- What she thinks the AAP can change in regards to drowning awareness/education
- What education/tools she thinks parents should equip themselves or their child with
- Why puddle jumpers are not ideal for drowning prevention
- What ISR is and why swim lessons are needed
AAP updated recommendations
Levi’s Legacy website (additional information, links, and resources on drowning prevention)
This episode is brought to you by:
THE NEW MOM SURVIVAL GUIDE: The first digital e-course/community created and founded by a Pediatrician mom to guide you and your baby through their first year. To find out more and to join, visit: http://pedsdoctalk.com/survival-guide.
Thank you to our sponsor, BetterHelp, for sponsoring this episode. To schedule your first therapy session, visit https://www.betterhelp.com/peds to get 10% off your first month.