83: “Adventure into widgets”, with Scriptable developer Simon Støvring
Simon Støvring, the developer behind several powerful iOS productivity apps, including Scriptable, joins John on an episode all about the new home screen widgets introduced in iOS 14. Topics include how to create and update dynamic widgets, managing and sharing data between an app and its widgets, and much more.
- NordVPN: Make your Internet connection private and secure, no matter which network that you’re on, and unlock your video streaming services. Get a massive 68% discount on their two-year plan at nordvpn.com/sundell.
- NSSpain: An online, continuous 36-hour Apple developer conference taking place on November 19th and 20th, 2020. Get a 10% discount on your ticket by using the offer code SUNDELL when buying your ticket at nsspain.com.
- Simon on Twitter
- John on Twitter
- The previous episode with Simon
- Data Jar
- A Scriptable widget using the Spotify web API
- A custom calendar and app launcher built with Scriptable
- Displaying custom weather and calendar information using Scriptable
- The JSExport protocol
- Configurable widgets using intents
- The TimelineProvider protocol
- Sharing UserDefaults data within an app group
- In-app intent handling
- SwiftUI’s state management system
- Intro and outro music by Dariusz Dziuk