83: Ten Misconceptions about pumping with a certified lactation counselor
On this episode I welcome certified lactation counselor Melissa of @pump_momma_pump on Instagram and we discuss common misconceptions when it comes to pumping.
- Pumping not being considered breastfeeding–it is!
- You are the only one doing it—it's common!
- It’s not a choice—it is a choice!
- It’s not as healthy as nursing or inferior to milk—it’s not!
- Can’t get bonding experience—FALSE
- It’s not sustainable—it is sustainable!
- Pumping can be flexible—this is correct if nursing also, but when exclusively pumping, you have to pump.
- It’s a lot harder than nursing—get into a rhythm.
- Freezer stash—you don’t need a huge one!
- You’re failing if supplement with formula—you aren’t!
This episode is brought to you by:
THE NEW MOM SURVIVAL GUIDE: The first digital e-course/community created and founded by a Pediatrician mom to guide you and your baby through their first year. To find out more and to join, visit: http://pedsdoctalk.com/survival-guide.
Thank you to our sponsor, BetterHelp, for sponsoring this episode. To schedule your first therapy session, visit https://www.betterhelp.com/peds to get 10% off your first month.