83. The Facebook Narcissist: Understanding The Effects of Social Media with Lena Derhally
In 2022, it’s no secret that social media may not be all it’s cracked up to be…
Today we are going to take a little bit of a different approach. Typically we highlight stories of people that have battled through mental health issues and come out the other side by great perseverance and courage. In this episode we're going to talk about some of the things in today's society as it relates to social media and the effects it has on our kids, young adults and even older generations.
We couldn’t imagine tackling such an important topic without the one and only Lena Derhally. Lena is a licensed psychotherapist certified in Imago Relationship Therapy and the author of the book “The Facebook Narcissist” where she takes a deep dive into narcissism and the role of social media and the decline in global mental health.
This episode is bound to take you from frustration, sadness and anger to feeling hope, a little more educated, completely aware, and totally empowered. If you have kids or know someone who is a parent, we invite you to share this episode with them! By the end of our conversation, you’ll see why we need to help spread the word to protect and serve the younger generations.
Even though there is a dark underbelly to social media, that doesn’t mean that using technology to connect with people is a bad thing. We are so thankful to have a podcast like this! We aren’t kidding when we say it’s a true honor to spend time with you each and every week. If you want to connect more, we would love to hear from you. Reach out to us or Lena via the links below!
More Of What’s Inside:
- Important conversations you need to have with your kids
- What has changed most in the last 100 years
- Likes and comments have nothing to do with your personal worth
- Life is more than just what you look like physically
- The definition of narcissism and how it shows up in culture
- The exodus of social media from the most secure and grounded adults
- How social media relate to people in their 40s and 50s
- And much more!
- The Facebook Narcissist
- Follow us on Instagram
- Like us on Facebook
- Subscribe To Our YouTube
- My Community Contact
Episode Minute By Minute:
- 0:02 What’s inside this powerful conversation
- 1:26 Thank you to today’s sponsors
- 3:16 Get to know Lena Derhally
- 4:36 Why Lena started studying narcissism
- 10:15 Everyone wants to be loved
- 14:22 The unstable standard of beauty in 2022
- 21:40 How to navigate social media with your kids
- 27:55 The true effects of social media
- 43:00 Life is all about connection and relationships