9: Aluminum vs. Steel: The Battle of Alloys (feat. Dr. Naresh Thadhani)
Developing new metal alloys is crucial for advancing mankind's needs in the 21st century. And many researchers are attempting to make sure their alloy systems of focus are king in the next wave of metals applications. In today’s episode we talk with Dr. Naresh Thadhani, a Professor & Chair in The School of Materials Science and Engineering at Georgia Tech, about the fierce competition to make the next best alloy system.
Dr. Naresh Thadhani can be reached at: http://www.mse.gatech.edu/people/naresh-thadhani.
Our topics in today’s episode include:
- How metal artwork inspired Dr. Thadhani’s career in metallurgy (3:31 )
- Comparing and contrasting steel and aluminum (5:05 )
- The impact of lightweight alloys on consumers (11:32 )
- How steel was made into some of the deadliest swords in history (19:16 )
- Using dynamic pressure application systems in materials research (22:31 )
- The impact of computational MSE on the field (36:06 )
- Current limitations of understanding materials during testing (42:34 )
- And much more!
For shorter segments, subscribe to our channel on YouTube. For bloopers, audiograms, and interesting materials science articles, follow us on Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter. Feel free to DM us @itsamaterialworldpodcast if you have any feedback or recommendations for future episodes or email us directly at email@example.com. Finally, reach out to Tom Miller and Punith Upadhya on LinkedIn if you'd like to chat about the latest breakthroughs in MSE!
Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed by either guests or hosts in this show are their own, and do not represent the opinions of the companies or organizations for which they are affiliated.