#91: Why is Drinking Water So Unaffordable for So Many Americans?
In Episode 91, Quinn & Brian ask: Why is drinking water so unaffordable, or unavailable, or just filthy for so many people?
Our guests are: Nina Lakhani & Mary Grant. Nina is environmental justice reporter for The Guardian US and Mary Grant is the Public Water for All Campaign Director at Food & Water Watch. They’ve bottled up their empathy and their anger for good, and we think they fit right in on the show.
If it wasn’t already obvious: water is important. It’s one of the few things we actually need to survive, believe it or not. We’ve all heard of problems in Flint, but that’s not some crazy anomaly. It’s just the one town that got the most media attention, and even then, there are still huge problems with their water supply.
The inequitable access to basic resources has been normalized in our country, but let's be clear about one thing — it’s NOT normal, and it doesn’t happen at anywhere near this scale in other developed countries. So, want to Make America Great Again? Well, let’s start by just getting us to a C average in basic human rights.
TAKE ACTION: There’s an important vote happening on August 7th! If you want to help people being affected by this right now, call your Senator and tell them to fight for a second Coronavirus Relief Package that includes a national moratorium on water, power, and broadband shutoffs: 202-609-9041
Have feedback or questions? Tweet us, or send a message to email@example.com
Trump’s Book Club:
- The Dictionary
- Call your Senator and tell them to fight for a second Coronavirus Relief Package that includes a national moratorium on water, power, and broadband shutoffs: 202-609-9041
- Tell your representative to support for the Water Affordability, Transparency, Equity, and Reliability Act (HR 1417, S611)
- Read Nina’s articles: theguardian.com/profile/nina-lakhani
- Nina on Twitter: @ninalakhani
- Mary on Twitter: @MaryGrant_Water
- The Human Utility
- Navajo Relief Fund
Connect with us:
- Subscribe to our newsletter at ImportantNotImportant.com!
- Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/ImportantNotImp
- Follow Quinn: twitter.com/quinnemmett
- Follow Brian: twitter.com/briancolbertken
- Like and share us on Facebook: facebook.com/ImportantNotImportant
- Intro/outro by Tim Blane: timblane.com
Important, Not Important is produced by Crate Media