926 Get Out of Your Own Way with Dave Hollis
Are you your own worst enemy?
There are going to be hundreds of obstacles that we face when trying to pursue greatness.
Some people will tell you that you're not enough.
Others will say your ideas are unconventional and crazy - "it's never going to work!"
Maybe your own family doesn't believe in you.
The pressure from other people can be insane and paralyzing, but sometimes, we are our own worst enemies. We can get in our own way when it comes to our dreams. Insecurity has a way of tripping us up when we try to get out of our comfort zone. Thoughts like, "I'm not enough," play on repeat.
Other times, pride has a way of convincing us that we're doing everything right, when we're actually not, and that's not great either. We always need to be willing to change, to humble ourselves when necessary, and to get out of our comfort zone.
On this episode of The School of Greatness, I've got Dave Hollis in the house to tell you his story about struggle, adaptation, and success.
Dave Hollis is one half of the dynamic, powerhouse duo that is Rachel and Dave Hollis. He's the former Disney film distribution chief who was responsible for the relaunch of the Star Wars franchise, the Avengers series, and mega-hits like Frozen and Beauty and the Beast, but he left his prestigious post at Disney last year to lead The Hollis Company alongside his wife Rachel Hollis.
In addition to running a company and raising his four beautiful children, Dave is touring the US, regaling tales of how one former personal development skeptic became a spokesperson for growth.
Dave understands the path to success well and acknowledges that it's a path full of change. It requires not only strategy but also the willingness to grow and adapt to situations you never saw coming.
I had Dave's wife, Rachel Hollis, author of Girl, Wash Your Face, on my podcast a while back, and I was so excited to have Dave on here as well! He gets vulnerable talking about their marriage and how they've navigated all this crazy stuff together.
I think you all are really gonna enjoy this one. Join me on Episode 926 to learn how to get out of your own way so you can reach your fullest potential with Dave Hollis.
- What has been the biggest area of growth for you in the last 2 years? (9:06 )
- Is there anything in your marriage that still isn’t resolved since Rachel’s career took off? (19:30 )
- What have you learned is the common thing that holds women back from their greatness? (40:37 )
- What’s your biggest fear about the next 5 years? (46:20 )
- Why did you decide to step out and write your own book and brand? (51:47 )
- Why Dave is okay with going from CEO to COO (0:30 )
- What happens when you have a huge lynchpin product in your business (4:18 )
- How to shift your perspective on vulnerability and transparency if you think they are liabilities (6:10 )
- Why Dave shifted his relationship with alcohol to focus on running (10:28 )
- How to unpack the stories that run your life (17:30 )
- Where to draw the line with what you share publicly (26:35 )
- How to make tough business decisions for the health of your business (36:29 )
- Plus much more...