#97: How Do We Rebuild Capitalism in a World on Fire?
In Episode #97, Quinn digs into how we can rebuild capitalism for the world, for your company, and for yourself.
Our guest is: Rebecca Henderson, Harvard professor behind the wildly popular class Reimagining Capitalism. Rebecca's research explores the degree to which the private sector can play a major role in building a more sustainable economy, focusing on the relationships between organizational purpose, innovation, and productivity in high performance organizations.
Rebecca published Reimagining Capitalism in a World on Fire in April 2020 — but she probably didn’t expect the book to become so literal so soon.
The crux of what she discovered over the last decade of research is that focusing on shareholder profit is a terrible way to run a company in the long term, and it’s going to burn this whole thing down. This has never been more apparent than the current state of the world, where we can watch in real time as every major American institution chooses profit over the health and safety of… anyone. The silver lining is that the five or so catastrophes that this country faces at any given moment may also present an unprecedented opportunity: the market cycle has already been broken and there has never been a better time to rebuild these systems.
Have feedback or questions? Tweet us, or send a message to email@example.com
- “Reimagining Capitalism in a World on Fire”
- Twitter: @RebeccaReCap
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/rebecca-henderson-recap
- Read Ed Yong’s “How the Pandemic Defeated America”
Connect with us:
- Subscribe to our newsletter at ImportantNotImportant.com!
- Follow us on Twitter: twitter.com/ImportantNotImp
- Follow Quinn: twitter.com/quinnemmett
- Follow Brian: twitter.com/briancolbertken
- Like and share us on Facebook: facebook.com/ImportantNotImportant
- Intro/outro by Tim Blane: timblane.com
Important, Not Important is produced by Crate Media