99: “Structured concurrency”, with special guest Doug Gregor
Doug Gregor from Apple joins John to discuss Swift 5.5’s new concurrency features in great detail. How do features like async/await and actors work under the hood, and how were those concepts adapted in order to feel right at home within Swift’s existing ecosystem? That, and much more, on this WWDC21 special episode of the show.
- DetailsPro: A native, fast, and beautiful design tool for iPhone, iPad and Mac, which lets you design, prototype and even build entire SwiftUI-powered UIs super easily. Try it for free at detailspro.app.
- RevenueCat: In-app subscriptions made easy. RevenueCat handles the pain points of implementing subscriptions and in-app purchases, so that you can get back to building your app. Learn more at revenuecat.com.
- Doug on Twitter
- John on Twitter
- Swift Evolution
- Futures and Promises
- URLSession’s async/await-powered APIs
- Using SwiftUI’s refreshable modifier
- SwiftUI’s task modifier
- Calling async APIs from a synchronous context
- Doug and Dario Rexin’s WWDC21 talk about actors
- Akka’s implementation of actors
- The Sendable protocol
- The MainActor type
- Intro and outro music by Dariusz Dziuk