A Sobering Reality in India (with Vidya Krishnan)
Dr. Bob talks with journalist Vidya Krishnan about India’s devastating COVID surge. As India’s health system collapses, Vidya says this global health crisis has been exacerbated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, and, as she calls it, the “moral malnutrition of the rich.” Plus, the lessons she wants the US to take from this unfolding tragedy.
Follow Dr. Bob on Twitter @Bob_Wachter and check out In the Bubble’s Twitter account @inthebubblepod.
Vidya Krishnan is on Twitter @VidyaKrishnan.
Keep up with Andy in D.C. on Twitter @ASlavitt and Instagram @andyslavitt.
In the Bubble is supported in part by listeners like you. Become a member, get exclusive bonus content, ask questions, and get discounted merch at https://www.lemonadamedia.com/inthebubble/.
Support the show by checking out our sponsors!
- Click this link for a list of current sponsors and discount codes for this show and all Lemonada shows: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NEJFhcReE4ejw2Kw7ba8DVJ1xQLogPwA/view
Check out these resources from today’s episode:
- Check out Vidya’s article for Caravan Magazine that she mentions in today’s episode: https://caravanmagazine.in/health/india-covid-19-taskforce-did-not-meet-february-march-despite-surge-say-members
- Read Arundhati Roy’s piece on India’s COVID catastrophe in The Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/apr/28/crime-against-humanity-arundhati-roy-india-covid-catastrophe
- Here is Vidya’s article for The Atlantic, “India Is What Happens When Rich People Do Nothing:” https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/04/india-covid19-moral-failure/618702/
- Here’s the John Barry opinion piece that Bob mentions in today’s episode: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/14/opinion/coronavirus-shutdown.html
- Learn what you can do to help the situation in India: https://www.nytimes.com/article/india-covid-how-to-help.html
- Keep track of India’s COVID cases: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/asia/india-coronavirus-cases.html
- Learn more about Dr. Bob Wachter and the UCSF Department of Medicine here: https://medicine.ucsf.edu/
To follow along with a transcript and/or take notes for friends and family, go to www.lemonadamedia.com/show/in-the-bubble shortly after the air date.
Stay up to date with us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram at @LemonadaMedia. For additional resources, information, and a transcript of the episode, visit lemonadamedia.com.
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.