A Year in Russia's War Against Ukraine: Forging a US Response
Since Russia began its full-scale invasion of Ukraine a year ago, we’ve seen some surprising military, diplomatic, and legal developments in the war. Ukrainian forces have proven remarkably strong, and the Ukrainian people have demonstrated utter determination against a Russian leadership and military that have drastically underperformed. Meanwhile, in Washington, the U.S. has developed its own response to Russia’s illegal invasion, which includes assembling an alliance to support Ukraine and providing billions in humanitarian aid and weapons, issuing massive sanctions against Russian banks and individuals, and passing new laws to prosecute those who commit grave crimes in Ukraine through U.S. courts.
For an expert view of how the U.S. has responded to the conflict and what comes next, Just Security and the Reiss Center on Law and Security at NYU Law have re-assembled a stellar panel. These legal and diplomatic all-stars first put their heads together a year ago during an NYU panel that happened to fall on the day of the invasion. Dan Baer is the Acting Director of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace’s Europe Program and the former U.S. Ambassador to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe. Tess Bridgeman is Just Security’s Co-Editor-in-Chief, a Senior Fellow & Visiting Scholar at the Reiss Center on Law and Security, and a former Deputy Legal Advisor at the National Security Council. And Rose Gottemoeller is a Lecturer at Stanford University and the former Deputy Secretary General of NATO.
Co-hosting this special episode are Just Security Fellow Paras Shah and Senior Washington Editor Viola Gienger.
- Dan Baer (@danbbaer)
- Tess Bridgeman (@bridgewriter)
- Viola Gienger (@ViolaGienger)
- Rose Gottemoeller (@Gottemoeller)
- Paras Shah (@pshah518)
- Reiss Center on Law and Security at NYU Law (@RCLS_NYU)
- Just Security's Russia-Ukraine War archive
- Reiss Center’s What You Need to Know: Unpacking the Law in Russia’s War Against Ukraine
- Reiss Center and Just Security's February 2022 event The Russia-Ukraine Crisis: Navigating Law, Diplomacy, and Force
- 50:50 NYU’s American Journalism Online Program
- Music: “The Parade” by “Hey Pluto!” from Uppbeat: https://uppbeat.io/t/hey-pluto/the-parade (License code: 36B6ODD7Y6ODZ3BX)