Adolescent Disordered Eating and Family Based Therapy with Alicia Ayvas, MSSW, LCSW, CEDS-S
In this episode, we explore how family therapy can adolescents recover better and faster from an eating disorder with Alicia Ayvas
Alicia's Biography & Credentials
I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) and Certified Eating Disorder Specialist (CEDS) who maintains a practice in Gainesville and Reston, Virginia. I earned my Bachelor of Arts in Social Work at Rutgers Univeristy in 2008 with a concentration in psychology and women studies. In 2009, I earned my Masters of Science at Columbia University as an advance clinical student with a specialty in health, mental health, and disabilities. I have been published in Columbia University's Scholarly Journals and continue to write for publication. During my post graduate work from Columbia, I worked at The Center for the Treatment of Eating Disorders, ran the New Jersey Eating Disorder Association's Helpline for the state of New Jersey, and was a frequent lecturer in the Tri-State Area on at risk topics such as: eating disorders, depression, anxiety, self esteem, body image, and trauma.
After completing my Masters of Science in Social Work at Columbia University, I went on to work for The Center for the Treatment of Eating Disorders as a psychotherapist specialized in eating disorders. In 2010, I took a position at Cornerstone Day School, a theraputic High School and Middle School as the Eating Disorder Program Coordinator and ran the only eating disorder program within a school system. The program was very successful and made great strides in eating disorder treatment for the adolescent population.
In 2012, I moved to Virginia and worked as an individual, family, and group therapist. I am trained in DBT, a powerful intervention for the treatment of eating disorders, personality disorders, trauma, anxiety, and depression. My approach is primarily cognitive behavioral and psychodynamic, with an emphasis on DBT skills. I will work with you to achieve the sense of empowerment and peace you long for.
My mission, now that I am working in both Prince William County and Fairfax County is to offer evidence based treatment to individuals and families and commit to the prevention, education, and researched based interventions to those who live in Northern Virginia. For too many years there have been limited services in this area, and I am very excited to be working in BOTH Gainesville and Reston! I share an office with a family therapist and a nutritionist who are also specialized in the field of eating disorders and I am committed to maintaining close working relationships with client's, their family, and with a multidisiplinary team of professional's who have a heart for preventing eating disorders and making a difference within the field of mental health.
Licenses & Certifications
* Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) - Virginia and New Jersey
* Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (LICSW) - Massachusetts
* Certified School Social Worker - Virginia and New Jersey
* Completed Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Training in 2009 at Columbia University
* Certified Clinical Supervisor - Virginia
* Certified Eating Disorder Specialist (CEDS) - International Association of Eating Disorders Professionals Foundation, iaedp
* National Association of Social Work, Member, 2008-Present
* National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA), 2009-Present
* Academy for Eating Disorders (AED), 2014-Present
* International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals (IAEDP), 2014-Present
* Eating Disorders Association of New Jersey, 2009-2012