Alex Cooper ON: Overcoming Self-Doubt & How to Give Yourself Permission to Outgrow the Past
Today, I talk to Alex Cooper. Alex is the creator, host, and executive producer of the hugely successful podcast and brand Call Her Daddy, which amasses millions of listeners per episode and frequently tops Podcast charts. In 2018, Alex began to blaze a path through the podcasting medium that had never before existed: a space where women were encouraged, empowered, and emboldened to share their unapologetic stories and truths. Now one of the most listened to female podcasters in the world, Alex continues to break all boundaries by shattering stigmas and stomping on misogyny, all while keeping mental health and personal empowerment at the forefront. Her thought-provoking conversations are meticulously designed to explore wide-ranging topics such as life experiences, culture, health, relationships, and more, all through her lens of comedy and extreme candor. To the millions of devoted gen-z and millennial listeners (“The Daddy Gang”) the Call Her Daddy brand represents a new set of values and standards, with many quotes and phrases permeating pop-culture vernacular. In addition, the Boston-bred entrepreneur has a successful merchandise line, as well as several exciting business endeavors in the pipeline.
Alex bravely shares how she suffered through constant bullying in her younger years and the trauma she still carries because of it, the pain of feeling uncomfortable with your body, and how creating content has helped her find calmness, peace, and purpose. We talk about how gender equality remains a delicate subject, how women can help other women through various programs and campaigns, and how self respect is one of the things we owe to ourselves. We also discuss how social media can heavily influence our thoughts and actions, how to set boundaries with it and for yourself, and why finding the right partner plays a big role in our success.
Throughout the conversation, we learn that despite the many challenges we’ve faced and will face in the future, there’s no other way but to keep moving forward. Having the will to do so will help mold us to become a better version of ourselves.
What We Discuss:
- 00:00:00 Intro
- 00:04:56 What was your favorite thing about Italy?
- 00:06:33 “I turned to making content as an escape.”
- 00:18:01 We all go through similar experiences
- 00:20:07 “I’m the same person…”
- 00:25:54 The trauma of being bullied
- 00:32:04 We are not equal to men?
- 00:38:18 You can be mindful and determined
- 00:43:32 What is your relationship with respect?
- 00:55:20 Taking the show to a different level
- 01:00:23 It’s okay if you don’t know things
- 01:05:46 Dealing with hate comments
- 01:12:34 When people assume you’re a bad friend
- 01:23:54 Respecting the privacy of your partner
- 01:30:55 What are you looking for in a partner?
- 01:36:45 The Many Sides Of You
- 01:42:25 Alex on Fast Five
Do you want to meditate daily with me? Go to go.calm.com/onpurpose to get 40% off a Calm Premium Membership. Experience the Daily Jay. Only on Calm
Want to be a Jay Shetty Certified Life Coach? Get the Digital Guide and Workbook from Jay Shetty