An Event-Driven Apps Look Ahead for 2021
James Urquhart (@jamesurquhart, Global Field CTO @VMware, O’Reilly Author) talks about event-driven application architectures, how it's changing real-time business models, and technology stack driven the evolution.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- BMC Wants to Know if your business is on its A-Game
- BMC Autonomous Digital Enterprise
- Datadog Security Monitoring Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt.
- Okta - You should not be building your own Auth
- Learn how Okta helped Cengage improve student success rates during COVID.
- Flow Architectures - The Future of Event Streaming & Event-Driven Integration
- The Cloudcast Eps.43 - James Urquhart
- The Cloudcast Eps.344 - Bringing AI to the Edge (Swim.ai)
- The Cloudcast Eps.334 - The Future of Edge Computing (Derek Collison, Synadia)
Topic 1 - Welcome back to the show. We’ve known you for quite a while, going back to working together on very early Cloud stuff. You’ve always enjoyed being focused on complex, distributed systems. Tell us what you’re focused on these days.
Topic 2 - Let’s talk about this concept of “event-driven” and flow. Where did it come from, what does it do, why is it valuable to application designers?
Topic 2a - What is a “flow” and how is it related to event-driven?
Topic 3 - Events are data. We’ve had relational databases for data, and then we had NoSQL or eventually-consistent databases for data. Are events a new type of data, or a new way to deal with data in a different context? (channels, replays, etc.)
Topic 4 - Can we talk through an example of an event-driven application, or an event-driven integration between multiple organizations? How is it new/different? What unique capabilities does it bring now? (Kafka, IoT, API Gateways, etc.)
Topic 5 - Cloud made IT self-service. Serverless made Ops become on-demand. If I’m a business leader, what does event-driven give us?
Topic 6 - Where are we in the maturity of event-driven architectures? What might be some of the next stages coming in 2021 or 2022?
- Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet