Asian Carp Invasion! What can we do when Invasive Fish Take Over?
Invasive species are a huge problem around the world. Asian Carp are most well known for flying through the air, striking anyone out for a pleasure cruise on the river, but they have completely changed the ecology and ecosystems they have taken over. They have taken over the Mississippi river and they are headed for the Great Lakes and Canadian Waters!
What are we doing to stop them?
In this episode you will hear from the experts about why Asian Carp were brought to the United States, how they escaped, why they are flourishing and what we are doing to limit their spread.
You will hear from Andrew Reeves, Author of the book "Overrun: Dispatches from the Asian Carp Crisis", Kevin Irons, Assistant Chief of the Fisheries Division from Illinois Department of Natural Resources, who runs the fishing program to keep asian carp away from the Great Lakes, and from Chuck Shea, US ARMY Corps of Engineers who man the underwater electric barricades keeping fish from the Mississippi river basin out of the Great Lakes.
Want to learn More about Asian Carp?
- Check out AsianCarp.us and AsianCarp.ca for up to date information about Asian Carp in the US and Canada respectively.
- Check out Andrew Reeves book "Overrun: Dispatches from the Asian Carp Crisis".
- Check out I Fish Illinois for information about fishing in Illinois and their Carp Program.
- Worried about Transporting invasive Species? Check Out Be A Hero, Transport Zero for information on how to make sure you don't accidentally move any invasive species around.
- Click Here for more information about the US Army Corps of Engineers Underwater Barriers.
Want to buy products made with Asian Carp? Check out some products below!
- Check out If You Can't Beat Em Eat Em to find Asian Carp tastings near you!
- Silverfin boneless Asian Carp fish cakes
- Hot Dogs from Two Rivers Fisheries
- Dog Treats from Wilder Harrier
- Dog Food From Root Lab
To learn more about the Aquatic Biosphere Project Click Here.
The Aquatic Bisophere Project
The ABP is establishing a conservation Aquarium in the Prairies to help tell the Story of Water.