BTC145: Adam Back on Drivechains, Mining Hardware, & L1 scaling w/ James Macedonio (Bitcoin Podcast)
Preston Pysh brings Blockstream's Adam Back and James Macedonio to the show. They talk about Blockstream’s efforts to develop their very own ASIC miner and what it takes to take something like that to market and all the challenges that are associated with it.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
01:23 - Why is building an ASIC like building a high-performance race car?
10:02 - How do you think through production and reliability when building an ASIC?
10:02 - How can one test the reliability of an ASIC when its actual performance is always on?
15:05 - Why is there so much inventory of ASICs on the market right now?
24:29 - What is the Blockstream BASIC note?
24:29 - What was the performance of the previous Blockstream Mining Note and how is it different than the BASIC?
41:35 - Some people say layer 1 bitcoin might become too costly and layer 2 can't scale, what are your thoughts?
46:19 - What is Adam's thoughts on drivechains?
56:49 - Are there other blockchains that have experimented with OP CATs that were originally coded into Bitcoin but now are turned-off for safety reasons?
01:06:51 - Do we even need more scripting on layer 1 for Bitcoin to solve "clown world"?
01:08:02 - Are engineers being reasonable with the speed at which they want to roll-out updates?
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Adam Back's Twitter.
- Information about the Blockstream BASIC note.
- Information about the Blockstream ASIC they are building.
- Information about Drivechains on Bitcoin.
- Related episode: Listen to BTC054: A Sovereign Bitcoin Bond in El Salvador w/ Adam Back & Samson Mow, or watch the video.
- Related episode: Listen to BTC040: Bitcoin ASIC Manufacturing by Blockstream w/ Adam Back & Samson Mow, or watch the video.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- Reach the world’s largest audience with Linkedin, the place to B2B. Plus, enjoy a $100 credit on your next ad campaign!
- Invest in some of the top private, pre-IPO companies in the world with Fundrise.
- Learn how Principal Financial can help you find the right benefits and retirement plan for your team today.
- Experience real language learning for real conversations with Babbel. Get 55% off your Babbel subscription today.
- Beat FOMO and move faster than the market with AlphaSense.
- Get a customized solution for all of your KPIs in one efficient system with one source of truth. Download NetSuite’s popular KPI Checklist, designed to give you consistently excellent performance for free.
- Choose Toyota for your next vehicle - SUVs that are known for their reliability and longevity, making them a great investment. Plus, Toyotas now have more advanced technology than ever before, maximizing that investment with a comfortable and connected drive.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Be confident that you’ll be small businessing at your best with support designed to help you reach your goals. Book an appointment with a TD Small Business Specialist today.
- Invest in the same paintings available to billionaires, at a more accessible price point with Masterworks.
- Start, run, and grow your business without the struggle. Be in control of every sales channel with Shopify. Sign up for a $1 per month trial period today.
- Return to the all-access world of the rich and powerful. Don’t miss new episodes of Billions streaming now on Paramount Plus with Showtime plan.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sponsors.