BTC146: Broken Money 2/2 w/ Lyn Alden (Bitcoin Podcast)
In the part two of a two-part discussion with Preston Pysh and Lyn Alden, they talk about the merging of a credit based money ledger system with a commodity backed money system into a single new technology, which is Bitcoin.
IN THIS EPISODE, YOU’LL LEARN:
00:00 - Intro
01:22 - Why money has been at the crux of global conflict since time immemorial.
16:08 - Why can't a government entity just fire-up 20,000 nodes and try to fork the code?
33:41 - Lyn's thoughts on Gresham's law and Bitcoin.
41:23 - What would a bitcoin would look like with no unit abstraction?
47:13 - How do Taxes change in a bitcoin world?
49:04 - Does Bitcoin need smart contracting to compete with other protocols?
57:43 - Why couldn't Adam Back improve the Bitcoin code?
01:02:25 - The privacy trade-off is something that many want, what is Lyn's point of view?
01:06:02 - What is the fundamental trade-off between PoW and PoS?
01:06:02 - Lyn's discussion of volatile vs non-volatile computer memory when trying to understand PoS and PoW.
Disclaimer: Slight discrepancies in the timestamps may occur due to podcast platform differences.
BOOKS AND RESOURCES
- Lyn Alden’s book, Broken Money – Read reviews here.
- Listen to Part 1 of the discussion with Lyn Alden about Broken Money, or watch the video.
- Listen to our interview with Lyn Alden about How the Fed Went Broke, or watch the video.
- Tune into our interview with Lyn Alden about Macro and the energy market, or watch the video.
- Listen to our interview with Lyn Alden about Money, or watch the video.
- Tune into our interview with Lyn Alden about Gold and Commodities, or watch the video.
- Listen to our interview with Alex Gladstein about issues with fiat currencies, or watch the video.
- Lyn Alden's free website.
- Lyn Alden's premium newsletter.
NEW TO THE SHOW?
- Check out our We Study Billionaires Starter Packs.
- Browse through all our episodes (complete with transcripts) here.
- Try our tool for picking stock winners and managing our portfolios: TIP Finance Tool.
- Enjoy exclusive perks from our favorite Apps and Services.
- Stay up-to-date on financial markets and investing strategies through our daily newsletter, We Study Markets.
- Learn how to better start, manage, and grow your business with the best business podcasts.
P.S The Investor’s Podcast Network is excited to launch a subreddit devoted to our fans in discussing financial markets, stock picks, questions for our hosts, and much more! Join our subreddit r/TheInvestorsPodcast today!
- Invest in Bitcoin with confidence on River. It's the most secure way to buy Bitcoin with 100% full reserve custody and zero fees on recurring orders.
- Learn how Principal Financial can help you find the right benefits and retirement plan for your team today.
- Reach the world’s largest audience with Linkedin, the place to B2B. Plus, enjoy a $100 credit on your next ad campaign!
- Invest in some of the top private, pre-IPO companies in the world with Fundrise.
- Take ownership of your Bitcoin with Foundation. Attain self-custody with Passport hardware wallet.
- Experience real language learning for real conversations with Babbel. Get 55% off your Babbel subscription today.
- Invest in the same paintings available to billionaires, at a more accessible price point with Masterworks.
- Send, spend, and receive money around the world easily with Wise.
- Make investing in Short Term Rentals aka Air-BNBs simple, passive, and profitable with Techvestor. Listeners of We Study Billionaires get better terms by just mentioning "We Study Billionaires!" Sign up and book your call with their Investor Relations Team to get started today.
- Be confident that you’ll be small businessing at your best with support designed to help you reach your goals. Book an appointment with a TD Small Business Specialist today.
- Beat FOMO and move faster than the market with AlphaSense.
- Choose Toyota for your next vehicle - SUVs that are known for their reliability and longevity, making them a great investment. Plus, Toyotas now have more advanced technology than ever before, maximizing that investment with a comfortable and connected drive.
- Get a customized solution for all of your KPIs in one efficient system with one source of truth. Download NetSuite’s popular KPI Checklist, designed to give you consistently excellent performance for free.
- Apply for the Employee Retention Credit easily, no matter how busy you are, with Innovation Refunds.
- Start, run, and grow your business without the struggle. Be in control of every sales channel with Shopify. Sign up for a $1 per month trial period today.
- Support our free podcast by supporting our sp