Banking without Banks: Decentralized Finance is Coming
Could we have a financial industry without banks or brokers? That’s the vision of decentralized finance – or DeFi – in which financial products are built from tamper-proof digital smart contracts interacting with blockchains. Sergey Nazarov, co-founder of Chainlink, joins Azeem Azhar to explore the promise of this emerging sector to bring greater transparency, control, and yield for both customers and businesses.
They also discuss:
- How blockchains and smart contracts work together to reconfigure the fundamentals of finance, as we currently experience it.
- Why the outrage felt by Robinhood users (when trading in GameStop was paused) reveals an underlying weakness in traditional finance.
- What blockchain oracles are, and how Chainlink is using them to build the decentralized infrastructure that will enable the widespread adoption of DeFi products and cryptocurrencies.
- “Bitcoin and the Future of Decentralized Finance” (Exponential View podcast with Meltem Demirors, 2021)
- “DeFi Can ‘Transform Global Finance’” (Decrypt, 2021)
- “What Is Chainlink and Why Is It Important in the World of Cryptocurrency?” (Yahoo Finance, 2021)