Best practices for Device Usage across age groups - Episode 40
The pandemic has made devices easily accessible, even a necessity, amongst children across all age groups. We did not have enough time to prepare for this, fully understanding the pros and cons of it. Before March 2020, discussions around device usage happened with the context that device usage is optional, for children. That is no longer the case. Do we have time to discuss, debate and figure out what steps we need to take when the children already have access ? Or, is it OK to not bother about it ?
In this episode, we have Aruna Sankaranarayanan, an author and psychologist who has done a lot of research in this area. Her first book, Zero Limits: Things Every 20 Something Should Know, which will be published by Rupa Publications, includes a chapter on the responsible use of digital technology.
We explore questions around device usage across various age groups. If you do an Internet search, you are likely to come across suggestions for device usage amongst young children. What about older children ? What is relevant and practical in today's scenario ? If you are looking for best practice recommendations, do not miss this episode.
Listen on ..
What the New Indian Woman podcast is about
As you may already be aware, this podcast has 2 focus areas. One, We examine the challenges faced by today's Indian woman and proposes ACTIONABLE strategies in the Indian context, on a wide variety of topics - right from identifying their passion to better productivity and parenting. Second, We meet women who chose to aspire or have a dream beyond their defined roles and facilitates sharing of what worked and what didn’t, for them. Today's episode falls in the first category.
And in the process, my aim is to help you, The New Indian woman, to realize your potential, chase your dreams and aspirations, utilize the wonderful opportunities available in today's world.
What's in this episode:
We start by defining what device usage means and whether we should be concerned about children's device usage.
Some of the questions she responds to and pointers she shares are :
- The maximum permissible daily limits of device usage for different age groups
- It is not enough to look at this in terms of minutes/hours, but how it is spent
- These limits are based on what kind of impact
- Whether usage with headphones or earphones are OK
- How to handle the issue of privacy when it comes to usage by teens
- Importance of looking at child's overall development and is a mother best placed to assess this
- How to talk to older children about appropriate usage and Things parents should never do
- How to handle the scenario of cyberbullying and accessing inappropriate content
- Is it possible and OK to put barriers ?
- How to realize if the child has become addicted to devices ?
- Importance of arriving at rules, together with children and the need for parents to also adhere to these rules
- How to handle violation of device usage related rules
- How parents can influence good device behaviour
We then examine how parents can use the device itself to engage with the child and what could be the golden rule here..
Aruna then talks about how her upcoming book will help the young adults.
There are tons of valuable and actionable steps for you, the New Indian Woman, from this episode. If you have any questions, please feel free to write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you liked this episode, please help this reach more people by sharing this podcast with friends and family over Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Pinterest. Don’t forget to like our Facebook page.
To Connect with the guest and to read her articles
Get in touch
Website : http://thenewindianwoman.com
Facebook : http://facebook.com/newindianwoman
Email : email@example.com
Twitter : https://twitter.com/thenewindianwo1
Use the link corresponding to your favourite Podcast App to listen to the latest episode and do not forget to click on Subscribe :
Apple Podcast :http://bit.ly/appleniw