BiaHero & Grow Your Own Food - Sineád, XR
For episode 25, I chatted to Sinéad Renu Sheehan from Extinction Rebellion about a new campaign called BiaHero. This community led campaign encourages people to start growing their own food at home and provides a support network for all your questions via a group on Facebook.
In this episode, we cover:
- (02:20 ) The definition of food security.
- (06:00 ) Why BiaHero started and the importance of it in regards to food security.
- (11:10 ) Where to start when it comes to growing your own food: the seeds.
- (15:24 ) Getting the right soil.
- (17:15 ) Why you usually. start sowing inside first.
- (20:41 ) How to choose what to start planting.
- (23:50 ) What you can grow all year round.
- (25:00 ) How to manage surplus products.
- (29:05 ) How to be creative if you don't have any land.
- (33:09 ) Guerilla Gardening.
- (34:25 ) Composting & feeding your plants.
- (40:00 ) How to care for your food during a dry spell.
- (43:30 ) Knowing what food needs vertical support.
- (45:10 ) Planning for next year.
Don't forget to join the community Facebook group for more tips and to answer any questions!
- Vegetables for the Irish Garden by Klaus Laitenberger.
- Small Changes in Drumcondra.
- All Ireland Pollinator Plan.
- We Are The Ark.
Please rate, subscribe, review & share!