Bonus Episode with Elizabeth Acevedo
Today, we have the pleasure of speaking with Elizabeth Acevedo, the author of our June book club pick, Clap When You Land. Elizabeth is a NYT best-selling author and we couldn’t be more excited to talk to her about the book. We learn of her early start in writing as a rapper and poet, her first job as a middle school teacher, and the road to her first publishing deal. We explore the birth of Clap When You Land, the meaning behind the title, the unique way she developed the characters distinct voices, and the differences between writing in prose and verse. We touch on the #publishingpayme movement and the importance of building a strong online community to keep you motivated and excited about your work. Elizabeth also gives us her favorite YA recs, childhood favs, and gives a taste of what she is working on next!
More Elizabeth Acevedo:
Elizabeth Acevedo’s Books:
- Dread Nation by Justina Ireland
- Not So Pure and Simple by Lamar Giles
- Burn Baby Burn by Meg Medina
- Merci Suarez Changes Gears by Meg Medina
- Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina
- When My Brother Was an Aztec by Natalie Diaz
- Friday Black by Nana Kwame Adjei-Brenyah
- Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore
- The Rakess Scarlett Peckham
- House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisnaros
- Miracle’s Boys by Jaqueline Woodson
Book Stores Recs:
- Word Up: https://www.wordupbooks.com/
- Lit Bar: http://www.thelitbar.com/
Donate to the Family of Breonna Taylor : https://www.gofundme.com/f/9v4q2-justice-for-breonna-taylor
Donate to the Louisville Community Bail Fund:
Join our FB group for amazing book recs & more!
Like and subscribe to RomComPods. Available wherever you listen to podcasts.
Visit Grace’s blog, The Stripe. New posts daily!