Brene Brown: Create True Belonging and Heal the World
THIS ONE IS WORTH A REPEAT.
Yes, one of the MOST requested guests on the show (since I launched it), has been this incredible woman.
She has one of the most watched TED talks of all time. She is a three-time #1 NYT bestselling author (and soon to be four). She has changed the face of emotional intelligence, relationships, and self-acceptance for millions of people.
But her area of expertise is one that not many people are willing to talk about — shame and vulnerability.
I’m talking about the one and only Brené Brown.
Brené is a research professor at the University of Houston. But once her TED talk blew up the internet a few years ago, she has appeared on much bigger platforms around the world, including Oprah, the New York Times, and many others.
Not only have her books changed millions of people’s perspectives on what it actually means to be brave, authentic, and loved, she has started a conversation that has created a ripple effect among other thought leaders.
I’ve been aware of her work for years, quoted it in my books, and followed her patiently, waiting for the right time to interview her for the podcast.
The time came a couple of years ago, on the eve of her newest book launch, and what we discussed was so powerful. I loved this episode so much, I decided to re-post it at the top of this new year as a reminder to all of us about how important these topics are.
Not only did we get into what it means to truly belong (the topic of her newest book), we got real about the tragic events happening in our country and what we get to do to change what’s going on.
- How do we find out who we are? (6:08)
- What is the time in your life you have been the most alone? (11:13)
- If you had a message to give to our nation’s leader, what would you say? (44:45)
- What belonging truly means (3:45)
- What makes people complex (7:01)
- What every parent needs to know about when their kids grow up (13:44)
- Why parents are so defensive about their parenting style (18:52)
- How to support men in being willing to discuss vulnerable topics (24:30)
- How to handle speaking up about sensitive topics (30:01)
- Why people hold onto hate (33:50)
- Why our avoidance of pain is causing so many huge issues (36:35)
- What Brene would say to all the men in the world (46:36)
- How to deal with shame (since we can’t get rid of it) (48:58)
- Plus much more…
If you enjoyed this episode, check out the video, show notes and more at http://www.lewishowes.com/899 and follow at instagram.com/lewishowes