Building Scalable Ecommerce Sites On Saleor
Ecommerce is an industry that has largely faded into the background due to its ubiquity in recent years. Despite that, there are new trends emerging and room for innovation, which is what the team at Mirumee focuses on. To support their efforts, they build and maintain the open source Saleor framework for Django as a way to make the core concerns of online sales easy and painless. In this episode Mirek Mencel and Patryk Zawadzki discuss the projects that they work on, the current state of the ecommerce industry, how Saleor fits with their technical and business strategy, and their predictions for the near future of digital sales.
- Hello and welcome to Podcast.__init__, the podcast about Python and the people who make it great.
- When you’re ready to launch your next app or want to try a project you hear about on the show, you’ll need somewhere to deploy it, so take a look at our friends over at Linode. With 200 Gbit/s private networking, scalable shared block storage, node balancers, and a 40 Gbit/s public network, all controlled by a brand new API you’ve got everything you need to scale up. And for your tasks that need fast computation, such as training machine learning models, they just launched dedicated CPU instances. Go to pythonpodcast.com/linode to get a $20 credit and launch a new server in under a minute. And don’t forget to thank them for their continued support of this show!
- Visit the site to subscribe to the show, sign up for the newsletter, and read the show notes. And if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions I would love to hear them. You can reach me on Twitter at @Podcast__init__ or email email@example.com)
- To help other people find the show please leave a review on iTunes and tell your friends and co-workers
- Join the community in the new Zulip chat workspace at pythonpodcast.com/chat
- Check out the Practical AI podcast from our friends at Changelog Media to learn and stay up to date with what’s happening in AI
- You listen to this show to learn and stay up to date with what’s happening in databases, streaming platforms, big data, and everything else you need to know about modern data management. For even more opportunities to meet, listen, and learn from your peers you don’t want to miss out on this year’s conference season. We have partnered with organizations such as O’Reilly Media, Dataversity, and the Open Data Science Conference. Go to pythonpodcast.com/conferences to learn more and take advantage of our partner discounts when you register.
- Your host as usual is Tobias Macey and today I’m interviewing Mirek Mencel and Patryk Zawadzki about their work at Mirumee, building ecommerce applications in Python, based on their open source framework Saleor
- How did you get introduced to Python?
- Can you start by describing the types of projects that you work on at Mirumee and how the company got started?
- There are a number of libraries and frameworks that you build and maintain. What is your motivation for providing these components freely and how does that play into your overall business strategy?
- The most substantial project that you maintain is Saleor. Can you describe what it is and the story behind its creation?
- How does it compare to other ecommerce implementations in the Python space?
- If someone is agnostic to language and web framework, what would make them choose Saleor over other options that would be available to them?
- What are some of the most challenging aspects of building a successful ecommerce platform?
- How do the technical needs of an ecommerce site differ as it grows from small to medium and large scale?
- Which components of an online store are often overlooked?
- One of the common features of ecommerce sites that can drive substantial revenue is a well-built recommender system. What are some best practice strategies that you have discovered during your client work?
- What are some projects that you have seen built with Saleor that were particular interesting, innovative, or unexpected?
- What are your predictions for the future of the ecommerce industry?
- What do you have planned for the future of the Saleor framework and the Mirumee business?
Keep In Touch
- A Guide To The Good Life: The Ancient Art Of Stoic Joy by William B. Irvine
- Release It: Design And Deploy Production Ready Software by Michael Nygard
- Pyramid web framework
- Magento eCommerce platform
- Prices library for handling price data
- French National Assembly
- Django Oscar
- David Winterbottom
- Ariadne GraphQL framework for Python
- Graphene GraphQL framework for Python
- PWA == Progressive Web Apps
- SKU == Stock Keeping Unit
- Collective Intelligence
- A/B Testing
- Room Lab store built on Saleor
- Augmented Reality
- Saleor Cloud