COVID-19 Update: Second Surge Underway
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to rage throughout the U.S., fueled by the Delta variant that is driving a new surge of infections of the deadly coronavirus – all this amid growing antagonism about mask mandates and vaccine hesitancy. The U.S. death toll now stands at more than 650,000, with projections indicating more than 750,000 deaths being likely by Dec. 1.
In fact, Idaho, reported to have the nation’s lowest vaccination rate – only 45 percent of its population has received at least one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine – is on the verge on rationing care due to a scarcity of beds and equipment.
For the latest update on COVID-19, the next Talk TenTuesdays broadcast will feature Dr. John Foggle, a former consultant with the World Health Organization (WHO) who designed a course for Project Hope, bringing COVID-19 education to healthcare workers in 23 countries.
The live broadcast will also feature these other segments:
- Coding Report: Laurie Johnson, senior healthcare consultant with Revenue Cycle Solutions, LLC, will have the Talk Ten Tuesdays Coding Report, along with the broadcast’s weekly Listeners Survey.
- Mental Health Report: The death on Monday of actor Michael K. Williams of “The Wire” fame, currently being investigated as a possible drug overdose, suggests several mental health issues – which is why Dr. H. Steven Moffic, award-winning author, and internationally renowned psychiatrist, will be on the broadcast. Dr. Moffic, whom we call the Talk Ten Tuesdays resident psychiatrist, will provide context and perspective on this tragedy.
- Tuesday Special Report: Ivermectin: Julia K. Brodt, PhD, an educator, and former epidemiologist, will report on the use of ivermectin, a medication used to treat parasite infections in livestock, now being clandestinely used to treat and prevent COVID-19 in humans, although there is no credible scientific evidence to support its efficacy. Moreover, the Federal Drug Administration (FDA) reports that ivermectin is not approved for the treatment of any viral infection.
- News Desk: Timothy Powell, compliance expert and ICD10monitor national correspondent, will anchor the Talk Ten Tuesdays News Desk.
- TalkBack: Erica Remer, MD, founder and president of Erica Remer, MD, Inc., and Talk Ten Tuesdays co-host, will report on a subject that has caught her attention during her popular segment.
- Town Hall: Your questions will be answered live during this special interactive broadcast.