Camila and Isa Shana Darvin: What Does a Latina Rower Look Like?
#033 - Camila and Isa Shana Darvin are both sisters and rowers for the University of Wisconsin. Camila is a Freshman rower on the lightweight women’s team while Isa is a Senior on the openweight women’s team.
In this episode, we talked about:
- What hooked them into rowing [6:09 ]
- Experiences being Latina on a collegiate rowing team [9:17 ]
- Moments of not feeling belong in rowing [13:07 ]
- Steps being taken (and obstacles in the way) to move the conversation forward [16:49 ]
- An example of barrier to access within rowing during COVID [23:38 ]
- Advice for coaches on how to promote inclusivity [30:34 ]
- More advice [35:29 ]
- Advice for younger Latina rowers [44:08 ]
- What does a Latina look like [46:42 ]
… and much more.
To get in touch with Camila, please reach her on Instagram @camila.darvin
To get in touch with Isa, please reach her on Instagram @isadarvin
We hope that the conversation in this podcast helps us all in the rowing world -- no matter your race -- to unify the rowing sport through diversity.
If you have a response to this or any episode, we want to hear it. Send us your voice message at www.speakpipe.com/rowingincolor or just check out our Linktree (linktr.ee/rowingincolor). If you don't follow us on IG already, find us @rowingincolor.
Lastly, if you can, please hit "follow" or "subscribe" wherever you listen to podcasts. If you can, please leave a rating and a review on Apple Podcast -- it would really mean a lot.
We hope you and yours are well. Stay safe.