Cannabis in Older Adults: A Podcast with Bree Johnston and Ben Han
Cannabis use by older adults has increased substantially over the last decade, a trend that has paralleled the legalization of its use for medical and recreational purposes. In that same time, there has been a decreased perceived risk associated with cannabis use in older adults as noted in a recent study published in JAGS.
On today’s podcast we talk with Drs. Bree Johnston and Ben Han about what the health care providers role is in cannabinoid prescribing and advising when caring for older adults.
We try to cover a lot in this podcast, including some of these topics:
- Epidemiology of cannabis used by older adults (including aspects of the JAGS study)
- The basic pharmacology and dosing of cannabinoids
- The latest evidence for the efficacy of cannabis
- Specific risks and side effects that providers should be aware about, and how we should monitor patients using cannabinoid products
- Drug interactions we should be aware about