Chicago Training Center: Representation Matters, Representation Happens
#050 - Chicago Training Center’s leadership team at all women: Staci Brown is the Executive Director, Rebekah Armstrong is the Program Director, and Sam Reyes is the Head Coach. Rowing in Color hosts, Denise Aquino and Patricia Destine, chat with them to share their story.
In this episode, we talked about:
- Introductions & how Chicago Training Center achieved racial diversity at the highest staffing level [1:50 ]
- From alumna to head coach, Sam shares her experience [13:45 ]
- CTC goals for recruiting new rowers and effective methods you can use for diversifying your youth program [16:37 ]
- What challenges and value having a diverse staff has had [24:53 ]
- Challenges in diversifying their program & sharing really good advice on this process [34:53 ]
- How to get in touch [40:54 ]
… and much more.
To get in touch with Chicago Training Center, please find the on Instagram at @ctc_rowing or visit their website at chicagotrainingcenter.org
We hope that the conversation in this podcast helps us all in the rowing world -- no matter your race -- to unify the rowing sport through diversity.
If you have a response to this or any episode, we want to hear it. Send us your voice message at www.speakpipe.com/rowingincolor or just check out our Linktree (linktr.ee/rowingincolor). If you don't follow us on IG already, find us @rowingincolor.
Lastly, if you can, please hit "follow" or "subscribe" wherever you listen to podcasts. If you can, please leave a rating and a review on Apple Podcast -- it would really mean a lot.
We hope you and yours are well. Stay safe.