Christian Angermayer - Democratizing Psychedelics: From Ancient Rituals to Modern Medicalization
In this episode of the Psychedelic Podcast, Paul F. Austin welcomes Christian Angermayer, a serial entrepreneur and investor in psychedelics, longevity, fintech, crypto, and future tech.
Get full show notes, links, and transcript here: https://thethirdwave.co/podcast/episode-207-christian-angermayer/
Christian is a notable figure in the field of psychedelic medicine, both respected and controversial. He has been a driving force in pushing psilocybin toward FDA-approval. But his company atai Life Science's psychedelic patents have drawn criticism from decriminalization-first advocates. Some wonder if the medical approach to psychedelics conflicts with the idea of open access and shamanic usage. Christian delves into this question, examining opposing views and exploring other dichotomies, such as whether capitalism and spirituality can coexist in the realm of psychedelics. He also considers the potential conflict between the search for psychedelic wisdom and the desire for immortality.
Christian’s conversation with Paul presents a new perspective on psychedelics, exploring nuanced topics and questioning the future of psychedelic biotech, microdosing, and longevity science.
Christian Angermayer is a serial entrepreneur and investor who builds and invests in companies that are shaping the Next Human Agenda: a future in which technology empowers people to live longer, healthier, and happier lives.
Christian’s family office and private investment firm, Apeiron Investment Group, has more than USD 2.5 billion under management and 50 people across five international locations. Apeiron focuses on Life Sciences, FinTech & Crypto, Future Tech and Experiences, and Hospitality & Happiness. Over the past 20 years, Christian has founded three unicorns and has been the lead investor in four unicorns and two decacorns.
Christian is the world’s largest investor in psychedelics and is recognized for leading the current psychedelics renaissance. He founded atai Life Sciences, investigating the potential of psychedelic compounds including psilocybin, ketamine, DMT, and ibogaine as approved medical treatments.
- Exploring psychedelics and the evolution of organized religion.
- The parallels between ancient psychedelic traditions and modern medicalization.
- An argument for democratizing psychedelic access through centralization.
- Christian’s thoughts on creating a regulated framework for microdosing.
- Optimism about longevity research and extended lifespans.
- Overcoming deeply-rooted fears and embracing the concept of a long life.
- Christian’s challenges and successes at COMPASS Pathways & atai Life Sciences.
- The obstacles of commercializing psychedelic medicines in an economic downturn.
- Investigating how psychedelics might contribute to longevity.
- How psychedelics can help us find and live our Dharma (life’s purpose).
Apeiron Investment Group: https://apeiron-investments.com/
atai Life Sciences: https://atai.life/
COMPASS Pathways: https://compasspathways.com/