Dec 29, 2019 Persevere
Sermon Notes; Persevere
Today is the final service in 2019. The next time we meet will be 2020. At this time of year we evaluate what the previous year brought and what the next year will bring. Many of you have had times of lose during 2019. Marriages have broken. Family and friends have passed from this life into the next. Some have had positive changes in your life. New Friendships have developed. New positions at current employer or even complete changes of position and employer have occurred. Regardless of weather 2019 has been a year highlighted by positive events or a year remembered for heartache, we, you , I have had to persevere. The key word that i keep hearing over and over again persevere. Press on.
A: Interestingly i found that the English word persevere is not found one time in the King James Bible. Perseverance is only found one time, in Ephesians 6:18 "With all prayer at all time in the Spirit with this view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints."
B: The verb means to continue steadfastly in a thing and give unremitting care to it. Etymologically it means to be intensely strong toward. In Romans 13:6 it is used of rulers in the discharge of their functions.
C: When I looked up "Steadfast" I found three different adjectives and two separate nouns that express that idea.
D: The idea of the persevere or to be steadfast is clearly a Biblical principle. Yet one can not simply ignore the elephant in the room. There is a problem.
- Paul referred to himself as the prisoner Jesus Christ in Eph 3:1 and the prisoner of the Lord in Eph. 4:1
- Paul who is a example of perseverance and being steadfast recognized the problem.
- The Fifth Seal Revelation 6:9-11 Even the Mytre ar told to rest a little longer until the number would be completed of their fellow slaves and their brothers, who were going to be killed just as they had been.
- Taking the mark of the beast demands the perseverance of the saints, who keep God's commands and their faith in Jesus. Rev 14:12
E Perspective: Christ will build His church
- That is a promise
- Look at how it is and will be fulfilled in FBC
- Notice promise is that Christ will build His church, no promise that He will build this church. Thus we need to concentrate on building His church not this church. Christ is building His church through this church.
F: Prevail Mathew 16
- When we are part of building His church, not this church, then the gates of hell will not prevail.
- As a church when we lose members it hurts,that is looking at the problem in the face. But the perspective that we are building His church means we prevail. We Persever. We are steadfast.
- Here is how going into 2020 FBC is going to prevail and persevere while looking at problems squarely in the face.
- The Dragon thrown out of heaven Revelations 12:7-13
- All those who live on the earth will worship the beast, everyone whose name was not written from the foundation of the world in the book of life of the lamb who was slaughtered. If anyone has an ear, he should listen. If anyone is destined for captivity, into captivity he goes.If anyone is to be killed with a sword, with a sword he will be killed.This demands the perseverance and faith of the saints. Revelations 13:8-10
G: Persevere like the seven churches of Revelation
H: Maltble Babcock 1858-1901
As we close out 2019 and enter 2020 do not grow weary in well doing. If 2019 has been a discouraging year in your personal life or you are discouraged in your church life, be steadfast, unmovable for James 1:12 reads "Blessed is the person who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him."