Did COVID transform Tech?
The COVID-19 pandemic will last ~18 months, but how long will the impact to the technology industry last?
- Get started with the JumpCloud Directory Platform today
- Visit the JumpCloud Homepage. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for a FREE JumpCloud T-Shirt.
- See how O’Reilly online learning can help your tech teams. Request a free demo now.
- Datadog Security Monitoring Homepage: Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt.
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
CHECK OUT OUR NEW PODCAST - "CLOUDCAST BASICS"
- How COVID changed on people work (Pew Research)
- Remote Work Trends and Stats
- Google to invest $7B in post-pandemic offices
- Microsoft report on post-COVID "Hybrid Work"
- Stocks with enough cash to outlast COVID-19
HOW WILL COVID CHANGE THE TECH INDUSTRY?
REMOTE WORK and COLLABORATION
- The foundational tools are in place (GitHub, Zoom, Slack, Jira, Public Cloud) but are they really designed for large # of remote workers collaborating?
- Event sign-ups were up 5-10x, but have people actually been consuming the content?
- Will companies continue to encourage and support remote workers, or do we see a boomerang in late 2021 and 2022?
MORE RAPID ADOPTION OF THE PUBLIC CLOUD
- Less people in the office, so more adoption of public clouds?
- Public clouds grew, but not at faster rates than before - 2021/2022 might be better indicators, as 2020 had “budget concerns” for many companies (uncertainty)
- More adoption of SaaS-like offerings (be near the clouds, align buying models, more flexible)
- Acceleration of more agile approaches, as the world becomes more polarized - hence stability may be shorter intervals?
WHY DIDN’T THE CLOUD PROVIDERS DO MORE?
- Cloud providers have massive cash reserves (Microsoft, $137B, Google $112B, Amazon $50B), but no major acquisitions.
- Nobody has initiate price-wars, but we are seeing more long-range ELAs announced
WHERE IS THE “NEXT BIG THING”?
- 2006/2007 - iPhone, AWS launch ; 2008 Financial Crash
- 2020 - ???
- Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet