Discipline vs. compassion: What's more motivating?
Can you be disciplined and nice to yourself? Ofosu and Leah believe it’s possible. Actually, they say self-compassion is essential to reaching your goals. They also discuss their experiences of putting intense pressure on themselves to improve (and why this didn’t work in the long term) and share practical tips for incorporating more compassion into the ways you stay motivated.
▶️ You can watch the latest episode on YouTube here: https://youtu.be/ec5jRYmU-zM
🎧 What’s in this episode:
- (00:00 ) Building discipline and having self-compassion
- (02:42 ) What does discipline mean to you?
- (03:38 ) David Goggins’ “Embrace the suck”
- (06:10 ) What’s motivating for different personality types
- (07:48 ) Why self-compassion creates long-term change
- (08:42 ) Dr. Kristen Neff de-bunks: Does self-acceptance lead to complacency?
- (11:04 ) Cultivating a lifelong relationship with your body
- (13:47 ) Comparison is the thief of joy
- (15:57 ) The importance of rest
- (16:55 ) Finding your “why”
- (18:15 ) Consistency is key
- (18:37 ) Reframing discipline as an expression of love
🧘 About Balance: Well Balanced is co-hosted by Ofosu and Leah, Balance’s Co-Heads of Meditation. Balance is a highly personalized meditation and sleep app that's been named Google's App of the Year and Apple's App of the Day. Completely free for the entire first year, Balance is helping 4 million+ people around the world improve their stress, sleep, focus, and mood. Unlock your free year of Balance today by downloading it from the App Store or Play Store: https://balanceapp.sng.link/Arat1/h3qp/icji