Dr. Andrea Brownlow - Leadership & Constructive-Developmental Theory
Dr. Andrea Brownlow is both a consulting and coaching psychologist (MAPS) and the founder of Berkeley Hall Associates, a small private practice dedicated to leadership development. Dr. Brownlow is also a part-time academic in the School of Psychology at the University of Sydney. She was awarded a University Postgraduate Scholarship in 2017. She completed her Ph.D. at the University of Sydney in 2022 under the supervision of Dr. Michael Cavanagh and Dr. Sean O’Connor (respectively Deputy Director and Director of the Coaching Psychology Unit) and Dr. Helen Parker (Senior Lecturer in the Business School). Her thesis is titled Measuring Adult Development and Exploring its Relationship to Leadership: Parallel Journeys through the Lens of Constructive-Developmental Theory.
Dr. Brownlow holds a Master of Science in Coaching Psychology (2016) and Bachelor of Science (Psychology) with first class honours (2004) from the University of Sydney and a Bachelor of Business in Organisational Studies (1996) from Queensland’s University of Technology. Dr. Brownlow and her husband, Mark, live in Sydney, Australia, and are the parents of two very active and wonderful teenagers.
Resources Mentioned in This Episode
- A quick primer on leadership and adult development by Reo Watanabe
- Andrea's Thesis/Dissertation: Measuring Adult Development and Exploring its Relationship to Leadership: Parallel Journeys through the Lens of Constructive-Developmental Theory
- Podcast: Keith Eigel and Nancy Popp - Interview One & Two
- Book: An Everyone Culture
- Article: Transactional and transformational leadership: A constructive/developmental analysis
A Quote From This Episode
- "There is an evidence base. And I think it's a pretty substantial evidence base that demonstrates how important adult development is to leadership."
About The International Leadership Association (ILA)
- The ILA was created in 1999 to bring together professionals interested in the study, practice, and teaching of leadership. Plan for ILA's 24th Global Conference online on October 6 & 7, 2022, and/or onsite in Washington, D.C., October 13-16, 2022. Register for the 24th Global Conference here!
The Prometheus Project
My Approach to Hosting
- The views of my guests do not constitute "truth." Nor do they reflect my personal views in some instances. However, they are important views to be aware of. Nothing can replace your own research and exploration.
Connect with Scott Allen