EP 79: Reclaiming My Power After Divorce with Author Desiree Gordon Tomlinson
Our guest today is Author Desiree Tomlinson. She believes it's important that we debunk the myths about seeking counseling so that we access the support needed when we're faced with life difficulties that negatively impact our mental health.
Author Desiree Tomlinson is the creator of the children's book series Grace & Mia. Her family and friends call her "Sunshine" and "Des". She is an ambitious and very determined single mom, retired Army veteran, entrepreneur, self-published author, and illustrator of her children's book series which is based on a true story.
She uses her creativity and passion, to write children's books about divorce, to help young children and their parents navigating through a divorce. She is committed to her great work because, as she puts it, "Her divorce didn't have, nor will it ever have, a happy ending...but I'd like to think it could help other families cope in a positive manner." She loves teaching as an adjunct professor, cooking, relaxing, and decorating my home (indoor and outdoor).
Empowering Insights You'll Gain from this Episode
- How her 3-year-old daughter's word of confidence served as a confirmation for her to make the move to return back to her home state of S.C. and begin divorce proceedings from her ex-husband
- The benefits she's gained from professional counseling and why she and her children are actively participating in family counseling
- Why she credits having a strong support system as a saving grace
- The thinking process that she engaged to determine the best audience for her book series Grace & Mia
- Lessons learned growing up a farm
- How growing up on a farm made it easy for her to be a great soldier in the Army
- How the disciplined developed over the two decades in the Army helps her to manage disruptions in her life
- Why she thinks parents need to recognize that children need to develop coping skills to be resilient when they experience the divorce of their parents
- The messages parents send to their children when they don't remain in relationships create a toxic home environment for their children
- And so much more...
Contact Jackie Capers-Brown at www.jackiecapersbrown.com
Support the show (https://paypal.me/jackiecapersbrown?locale.x=en_US)