EP 89 Why it’s great to suck at something
How freeing it is to be really bad at something and still love doing it. Karen Rinaldi, publisher of Harper Wave and Senior Vice President at HarperCollins Publishers, is not afraid to wipe out in the ocean or in life. In fact, she welcomes the chance to fail (and try again) with open arms. Karen is both the Publisher and Editor of Sheri’s new book, The Beautiful No. She joins the show today to talk about loving things you are bad at, a subject she covers with heart and hilarity in her new book, It’s Great to Suck at Something.
Let’s all avoid what Karen calls “aspirational psychosis” and just embrace the suck. It feels good DreamTribe! We promise.
● The more forced something is, the less room there is for creativity and alignment. When Sheri felt as though the urgency to write the book had subsided, she was able to take a breath and do it on her time. Thanks, Karen!
● Karen started surfing at age 40 and it took her five years to catch a wave. Her book It’s Great to Suck at Something discusses how when we try something new (and suck at it) we build new communities, find a tribe, and get to know ourselves more deeply.
● There is something generous about giving yourself so others can see themselves in your experience.
● When we focus too much on social media and keeping up with the success of others, we get caught up in aspirational psychosis. The more we shift it to understanding the conversation we are having with ourselves, the more we can get in touch with what it is we really want.
● It’s all about getting comfortable with discomfort and knowing there will be days filled with sorrow. Nance can relate here because of what she felt about her kids going to college. Yet another reason why having tribemates is important!
● Sucking at something brings us another frame in which to build self-compassion, resilience, and freedom.
● When you struggle, you invite kindness. Everybody wins.
Mentioned in This Episode:
The Pillar Shop is filled with so many fabulous goodies to treat yourself and your loved ones. Check it out!
Our Triple Board Certified OB-GYN girlfriend doctor, Dr. Anna has a special DreamTribe deal to offer. Type in DreamTribe at checkout and get 10% off everything in her line of all-natural lotions and potions.
Dry Farm Wines — Special Pillar Life Offer: Buy one bottle of wine and get another bottle for just a penny.
Notes To Self Socks are cozy and inspirational. What a perfect Pillar Life accessory.
Beautycounter lipsticks, eyeshadows, facial peels, skin-care products, and more… all make cruelty-free beauty that much lovelier. Beauty Comes Clean.
Thanks to our friends at Tea Vibes, we stay hydrated, cleansed, and calm while enjoying delicious, bespoke tea blends. Get 15% off all of Tea Vibes’ one-of-a-kind flavors, right here.
The Pillar Life Kitchen is here! Plant-Powered Goodness from home chef Nancy, herself.