EP 91 Therapy Session: Unpacking It All with Lori Gottlieb
In her can’t-put-it-down best-seller, Maybe You Should Talk to Someone, Lori Gottlieb describes her life as a therapist and as a patient following a soul-crushing breakup with her fiance. Her fascinating stories struck a chord with Sheri and Nancy. Does the thought of having an hour alone with an expert helping you sort out your limiting beliefs and maladaptive patterns sound just as good to you as it does to Nance? Maybe therapy is the answer — for ALL OF US.
If self-evaluation is on your bucket list, Lori shares important tips: What to look for in a therapist, why we are our own worst bully, and how to reframe self-talk about all the possibilities that show up in the middle of life. Sheri recounts her worst therapy story, and Lori agrees it is like nothing else she’s ever heard before. Don’t miss this conversation where we peel back the layers and look therapy square in the face.
● Nancy is forever grateful to Sheri for being her free-of-charge de facto therapist for years, but still, she yearns for actual therapy and plans to find a great one in Seattle.
● Maybe You Should Talk to Someone came from a place of Lori listening to her inner wisdom. She put down her pen and stopped writing a book about happiness (which was making her anything but happy) and decided to tell the truth about what was going on in her life.
● Even as a therapist, Lori herself was struggling with the feeling that “half her life was gone” following a sudden breakup… and it’s a common thought she hears from others.
● Therapy is a process of uncovering patterns and becoming conscious about all the ways we self-sabotage and limit ourselves.
● Learn from Sheri and pick a therapist who will stay awake during your sessions!
● A great therapist will listen and hold you accountable, and the best session is often one where there is no agenda.
● We tend to think that the future happens later, but we are creating it in our minds every day.
Mentioned in This Episode:
The Pillar Shop is filled with so many fabulous goodies to treat yourself and your loved ones. Check it out!
Our Triple Board Certified OB-GYN girlfriend doctor, Dr. Anna has a special DreamTribe deal to offer. Type in DreamTribe at checkout and get 10% off everything in her line of all-natural lotions and potions.
Dry Farm Wines — Special Pillar Life Offer: Buy one bottle of wine and get another bottle for just a penny.
Notes To Self Socks are cozy and inspirational. What a perfect Pillar Life accessory.
Beautycounter lipsticks, eyeshadows, facial peels, skin-care products, and more… all make cruelty-free beauty that much lovelier. Beauty Comes Clean.
Thanks to our friends at Tea Vibes, we stay hydrated, cleansed, and calm while enjoying delicious, bespoke tea blends. Get 15% off all of Tea Vibes’ one-of-a-kind flavors, right here.