EP243 - Revenge Porn with Dr. Kate Balestrieri
Welcome to episode 243 of the Sexology Podcast! Today I am delighted to welcome Dr. Kate Balestrieri to the podcast. In this episode, we discuss revenge porn, safety measures we might be able to take to protect ourselves, looking at the psychological profile of people leaking sexual images and the importance of parents to talk to their kids about this issue.
Dr. Kate Balestrieri, Psy.D., CSAT-S, is a Licensed Psychologist (Clinical and Forensic) in CA, FL and IL. She is a Certified Sex Therapist, Certified Sex Addiction Therapist – Supervisor, and PACT II trained couples’ therapist. Dr. Balestrieri earned her Doctorate of Clinical Psychology from the Illinois School of Professional Psychology, Chicago, and completed her Post-Doctoral Fellowship though the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine with a concentration in Forensic Psychology. In over 14 years of clinical experience, she has conducted clinical and forensic evaluations, provided expert witness testimony in court, and been a treatment provider in clinical, forensic, and correctional settings.
The Founder of Modern Intimacy and Co-Founder of Triune Therapy Group, Dr. Balestrieri is a passionate advocate for mental health, relational and sexual health and wellness. In her private practice, Dr. Balestrieri works with adults, individuals and couples, primarily around treating trauma, substance abuse and addiction, intimacy disorders (sex/love addiction and sexual dysfunction), eating disorders and body image issues, bipolar disorder, Posttraumatic Stress disorder, depression, and anxiety. She also conducts comprehensive personality assessments, differential diagnosis evaluations, and screenings for the presence of alcohol/drug addiction, compulsive relationship behavior, and other psychosexual evaluations.
Throughout her work, Dr. Balestrieri focuses on helping people build resilience and recovery from what ails them to move from a position of pain or discomfort to one of thriving, holistically in their lives. In that effort, Dr. Balestrieri works with individuals astutely to help mitigate anger management concerns, establish healthy boundaries, build effective communication strategies, and improve relationship patterns.
In this episode, you will hear:
- How Dr. Kate became interested in the sexuality field
- Looking around the issues that lead to revenge porn
- How can we protect ourselves from revenge porn?
- Communicating with your partner about what happens to photos, videos etc
- Looking at the psychological profile of people leaking sexual images
- How many victims of revenge porn don’t come forward and report it
- Is narcissism a character trait of someone leaking images?
- Safety measures we might be able to take, E.G using secure apps
- Looking at how authorities around the world are putting in legislation to deal with revenge porn
- The importance of parents to talk to their kids about this issue
- Understanding the consequences of leaking sexual images
Find Dr. Kate Balestrieri Online
Expanding Imagination Checklist
Podcast Produced by Pete Bailey - http://petebailey.net/audio