Emily Hikade on Going from CIA Officer to Entrepreneur
From navigating war zones to negotiating with affiliates of terrorist organizations, Emily Hikade lived for the thrill of working as a CIA officer. But a near death experience at work made her realize: it was time to try a different kind of adventure. While in East Africa, Emily worked nights to start her luxury sleepwear brand, Petite Plume. Today, Emily shares how working in diplomacy prepared her for the challenges of being a founder and CEO.
In this episode, Emily Hikade shares:
- Why she knew she’d have an international career from an early age
- The moment she started feeling vulnerable in her CIA career
- What a near-death experience put into perspective for her
- How she started her business while working full-time and being a mom of three
- Advice on how to know which investors are worth working with