Ep 120: Rounding
What fun rhymes will best help your students learn to round? Just kidding! In this episode Pam and Kim describe their wholistic approach to rounding that helps kids build relationships like place value!
- No rhymes needed.
- Modeling on a number line to reason about how far a number is from a landmark.
- Keep students reasoning about number with rich experiences.
- Conversations about the number line and rounding help develop students' place value and other mathematical concepts.
- Students need to understand the math that is figure-out-able and which is social knowledge.
- Context is an important part of rounding conversations.
- Clothesline math helps students build better intuition about numbers and their relationship to other numbers and rounding conversation can emerge.
- I Have You Need helps students find the greater landmark which is harder for students.
Download the guide to playing I Have, You Need HERE