Ep 121: Is This a Major Strategy?
When we teach Real Math, students come up with all sorts of cool strategies! But which ones are the main strategies, and how do we make the distinction? In this episode Pam and Kim take a listener submitted strategy and discuss where and what its uses are.
- The Most Important Numeracy Strategies are a relatively finite set.
- Are there other strategies that work and are mathematically coherent?
- Why do some strategies not make the short list?
- It's not about memorizing the strategies, it is about building relationships to help students become fluent.
- The less sophisticated strategies deal with single digits and partials.
- The more sophisticated strategies extend to multi-digit numbers and are more important.
- Our goal is to help students move to bigger and bigger chunks using more advanced reasoning.
- Teachers need to know the Landscape for Learning to recognize and acknowledge students' strategies.
Check out Episodes 7 of this podcast for more about I Have, You Need
Check out our free eBook to learn more about these strategies: https://www.mathisfigureoutable.com/big