Ep 125: The Over Strategy - Subtraction
We just love the Over strategy! In this episode Pam and Kim go through a Problem String to develop the relationships used to think about the Over strategy for subtraction.
- Over strategy is a great experience for people new to thinking Real Math.
- The Over strategy is one of the major relationships that students need to own.
- A Problem String to nudge the Over strategy.
- The Over strategy can be tricky, so students need lots of experience and contexts.
- Modeling student's thinking on a number line helps make thinking visiable as they grapple with the relationships.
- Teacher moves to modeling that can help support students' thinking.
- Where does over subtraction fit in the hierarchy?
- Bonus! The Over strategy "uses" place value (not just place labeling)!
Download from Google Play
Download from App Store