Ep 132: The Ratio Table Model Pt 4
It's time to talk equivalent ratios and fractions! In this episode Pam and Kim demonstrate how understanding equivalent ratios leads to powerful reasoning about fraction operation, without the need to memorize steps and rules or algorithms.
- Empowerment is about having choice
- Ratio tables aren't a strategy, they're a model/representation of the strategy or strategies being used
- If you understand fractional equivalence, you don't need rules for fraction operations
- How to add 3/4 and 5/7 thinking and reasoning using a ratio table
- Do non-equivalent ratios go on the same ratio table? How do you handle adding non-equivalent ratios?
Note: for more infomation about the packs and sticks of gum scenario, listen to Episode 131
Check out our social media
Instagram: Pam Harris_math
Facebook: Pam Harris, author, mathematics education