Ep 26 | Erica Virvo: Five Years of International Travel & Adventure
Welcome to another episode of Globetrotter Lounge! I’m excited to have Erica Virvo on the show with me today. Erica is a purposeful traveler and connector, who loves the thrill of living in countries people have rarely heard of. She’s spent 5 years studying and working in obscure countries in the Middle East, Asia, the Caribbean, and Africa. While she loves visiting the frequented tourist spots like everyone else, the memories Erica has treasured the most are the everyday experiences she participated in with friends she’s found along the way. Through these connections and ordinary activities, Erica gained a deeper appreciation for the world and people in it. As we talk, Erica shares how she got started on a life of travel (even though she didn’t grow up traveling), how she managed to finance one incredible travel experience after another, how travel has changed her life, and lots of other fun adventures!
After the interview I answer two listener questions:
- Is there a particular card/program that seems better/easier to use miles than the others?
- Are there any hacks for getting the most out of your miles such as timing of ticket purchase?
What You'll Learn
- The transformative experience that sparked Erica’s desire to travel
- Why she finished her college degree in Qatar
- How she created a job for herself to make money
- How she ended up volunteer teaching and living in rural Thailand
- Why she moved to South Korea instead of returning to the U.S.
- How she used $10K to live in St. Vincent of the Grenadines and Zambia for 14 months
- Why her perspective about saving the world began to change
- Why she started working at Nomadic Matt
- How living abroad has impacted her outlook on life and changed her internally
- What she plans to do next and why she believes travel is necessary
About Erica Virvo
Erica has a BFA in Interior Design. However, she has never worked as an Interior Designer and has completely built her career (and life) out of her immersive travel experiences. After moving back to the states in 2015, Erica worked for Nomadic Matt, a budget travel website with over 1 million monthly visitors that teaches people how to bring their travel aspirations to life by exploring the world on a budget. Her tips have been featured publications including Levo League, the Positive Psychology Podcast, and Forbes. She believes that strangers are just friends you haven’t met yet. Combining this motto with tips and tricks she’s uncovered along the way, Erica’s greatest passion is helping others shape their trips into authentic travel experiences that they can use to create the life that they love.
Say hi to Erica on Instagram @erica.virvo.
7 Steps to Free Travel
Enjoyed this episode? If so, please rate, review and subscribe as it really helps more people find the show...I would so appreciate it. If you'd like to know more about me, you can find me via my website or on social media: @jetsetlisette.