Ep 33 | Phoebe Howlett: From Chronic Illness to World Travel
Meet Phoebe Howlett, a solo traveler from the U.K. who at age 21 was diagnosed with two chronic autoimmune disorders, Postural Tachycardia Syndrome and Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). She also struggled with significant anxiety and depression. After thinking she could never easily travel or work again, Phoebe managed to find her way back to wellness. She is now on a mission to travel to every country in the world, and is currently at 66 countries and counting. Phoebe shares details about her journey into chronic illness, how travel has become a part of her recovery, and the importance of self care while on the road.
What You’ll Learn
- Where her travel bug came from
- Her journey into chronic illness
- Her experience with anxiety and depression
- How she began to find balance and recovery after initial failed attempts
- What led to her decision to start traveling
- Some of the challenges of traveling with chronic illness
- How travel has improved her health
- Her thoughts on being a solo traveler
- How she maintains her self care routines while on the road
- Tips for introvert travelers
- What traveling while managing illnesses has brought to her life
- Her tips for traveling after a diagnosis
About Phoebe Howlett
Phoebe Howlett is a digital marketing freelancer and solo traveler. She regularly blogs about travel and her journey back to wellness, offering useful tips for others traveling with chronic illness. She has sailed across the Pacific Ocean, traveled 3,000 miles on buses in the Americas, spoken about her journey to children in Samoa, Panama and Ireland, and seen wonders of the world on four continents. She loves speaking to young audiences about personal strength, health and travel. Her mission is to become the first person with chronic illness to travel to every country in the world, while looking after her health to make sure she reaches her goal.
Enjoyed this episode? If so, please rate, review and subscribe as it really helps more people find the show...I would so appreciate it. If you'd like to know more about me, you can find me via my website or on social media: @jetsetlisette.